Free Community-financed Domestic Solar PV South Hams (under reconsideration)
We're working with TRESOC (Totnes Renewable Energy Society) to offer South Hams homeowners Community-financed solar PV – the opportunity to have solar panels installed at little upfront cost.
However, due to the continued reductions in the Feed-in-Tariff (FIT) and obstacles imposed by different Banks, TRESOC needs to reconsider, if they can continue to offer Community-financed solar PV to domestic property owners.
Please contact us to find out the latest news.
There are lots of solar installers out there and only so many ideal roofs... so perhaps you are already aware of your home's solar potential? If you have considered putting panels on your roof, but can't quite swing the financial commitment, or don't feel good about who would benefit if a loan was involved (e.g. a bank), then Community-financed solar PV could be a good fit for you.
Free Community-financed Solar Panels for South Hams (subject to continued support from TRESOC)
Here's how it would work:
- You receive a free site survey.
- If your roof meets our Tier 1 criteria, you receive a solar PV installation at little upfront cost, giving you significantly lower electricity bills and free maintenance for 20 years.
- Totnes-based Yokk Solar Ltd. would install the solar panels tailored to your property.
- You receive free electricity generated by the solar PV, saving you around a third off your electricity bills on average per year.
- TRESOC, on behalf of its members, would purchase and own the PV system for 20 years and in return would receive the Feed-in-Tariff payments generated from the PV installation.
- TRESOC members would benefit through a return on their investment.
In short, this means that all of Totnes or South Hams benefits because the money loaned and the income generated from the solar PV FIT stays in the South Hams community.
Why install solar PV?
The benefits of a solar PV system are very clear, even on dull cloudy days you will generate free electricity for use in your home. But there are even more reasons to consider free domestic solar PV in South Hams.
- Save more every year: Your savings will increase over time, because as energy prices rise you'll still be partly self-sufficient.
- Increase your home's value: 35% of people in the Energy Saving Trust's 2009 survey said they would be willing to pay more for a home where some of their energy supply came from renewable resources.
- Reduce your carbon footprint: An average solar PV system will save around 20% of a home's carbon footprint per year (around 1000kg CO2).